The following is a partial list of questions that you might want to ask your doctor. Some of them may not apply to your situation and there may be others that you want to ask. Take your list to your appointment and if possible, take someone with you or record the consultation.
- What options are available to me?
- How many of these procedures have you done?
- How long is the hospital stay or course of treatment?
- How long is the recovery period?
- What are the potential side effects?
- What is your success rate in terms of getting rid of the cancer and minimizing side effects?
- What is the survival rate of the treatment?
- What treatment options are available if there is a recurrence?
- Are there clinical trials available? It is often beneficial to become part of a trial, if possible.
- What literature, books and web sites, would your doctor recommend?
If talking to a urologist / surgeon:
- What is laparoscopic surgery or robot-assisted laparoscopic surgery?
If talking to a radiation oncologist:
- When considering Brachytherapy ask the doctor if he/she actually does the procedure.
At the end of an appointment:
- What comes next?
- What should I expect?